Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sweet Pea, Cheese and Pickle Salad



Getting kids to eat vegetables is a challenge for many parents. Noodles are a complete opposite and kids love them. Noodles shaped like starts, noodles shaped like shells, noodles shaped like tiny tubes, and more. Most kids like peas and when you combine them with noodles, you have a winner, a vegetable delivery "system."
Recently I came across a recipe that has been around for decades, Pea, Cheese and Pickle Salad. I've always loved this recipe and was surprised to find a ready-made version in the deli section of my supermarket. Since I had some leftover cut spaghetti (long noodles cut into one-inch pieces) on hand, I decided to add them to the deli salad.
But the mayonnaise dressing was too thick, so I thinned it with some coleslaw dressing. What a sweet combination! I snacked on the salad all day. In fact, I couldn't seem get enough of it. The combination of sweetness and crunch was irresistible. Kids will love this salad, too, and you can save money by making it from scratch. According to "Green Peas Nutrition Facts," an article on the Nutrition and You website, peas have many health benefits.
"Peas are on of the most nutritional leguminous vegetables, rich in healthy minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants," the website reports. Green peas also contain folic acid, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Vitamins A and K. Better yet, they are packed with fiber, which is essential to good health. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment